Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Day, Brock's Way

If you know my Brock at all, then you know that he is his own person. He has his own ideas and he is not influenced by others. Brock marches to the beat of his own drummer and he is confident in that path. That is one of the things that I admire about my son. When he found out that they were going to have judging at school for Valentine's Day boxes, he wasn't that crazy about the idea. The more he thought about it, the more he wanted to do Valentine's Day his way. And so the adventure began. One of my most vivid memories about growing up is working with my dad to make my Valentine's boxes. You see, my dad is super artistic and he can do just about anything he puts his mind to. I always had really cool Valentine's boxes growing up and now, my dad is seeing to it that Brock follows in that tradition. Brock had the idea to do a serpent type creature (I know, just what comes to mind when you think of Valentine's Day!). He wasn't going to do the typical red and pink hearts; that would be WAY too typical. So, with his creative mind and his grandpa's artistic ability, they set out to make the ultimate Valentine's Serpent. If you look really closely you will see that there is one heart on this non-traditional Valentine's box. Can you find it? I think the box really ROCKS, but even more than that...seeing Brock and Grandpa spending quality time together over the past few nights...THAT was the ultimate Valentine's gift!!






7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it! I just slapped some sports wrapping paper on Kain's, and he was fine with it!

Unknown said...

oops.....that comment was from me, not Steve!!
Deanna :)

Michelle said...

Oh,I'm glad someone liked it. He came home with tears in his eyes and said that the teachers told him it wasn't "Valentine's" enough. He was broken hearted. I told him that we appreciated his creativity and ability to think "outside the box." Grrrr....
:0)

Amy Covey said...

I love the box - and his creativity. I can't believe his teachers would say that. That just breaks my heart. Maybe they weren't paying attention at all of our differentiated instruction inservices. :)

Michelle said...

Thanks Amy. I needed to hear that. His Mom was just about as broken hearted as he was. :0(

Crazy for Art said...

Oh, I can't believe the teacher said that! Your son and your dad showed true artistic ability in coming up with something so unique. Artists are NOT conformists! You tell Brock we think it's brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Well, shame on that teacher..I for one was very impressed by the craftsmanship shown in this amazing piece of art!! I bet Mrs. Houg would be very impressed...
Great job Brock!!!
P.S. Michelle, thanks for the note on my blog...I will hopefully do my FEEP at Jefferson~or Van Wert schools, and yes, I am very much looking forward to being in the classroom!! Talk to you soon~