Saturday, April 2, 2011

Before the Hike

On our first morning in Gatlinburg we were going to go on a hike at Laurel Falls.  On this morning everyone was taking their time getting up and ready to go, so I had a little time on my hands.  I decided that I would go outside and maybe take some shots of the scenery around the cabin.  Well, almost immediately after I stepped out of the cabin I was treated to the sound of children laughing and chatting.  I could hear our crew of kiddos, but I couldn't find them.  Following the laughter, I headed behind the cabin and up a small embankment to find Chuck, Tim and the kids hunting in the wooded area behind the cabin.  It became evident that they were looking for walking sticks.  Now, this was something that Tim and Sandy must have told the kids about, because we have never been hiking and certainly wouldn't have known to get a hiking stick.  For a little while, I just watched and took in the moment of the kids laughing and enjoying the company of the dads in the early morning sunshine.  It really warmed my heart.  Initially, I had gone out to take pictures of the scenery, but what I discovered was much more of what my heart desired.  I just love capturing the smiles of the people that I love and care about while they are doing things that they really love.  It is THOSE memories that I want to lock away in my heart and mind for a lifetime.  It is those memories that make life worth living.  I remember thinking that so clearly on that morning...remembering that THIS is what I wanted my focus in life to be...not all of the little stresses that tend to overwhelm us and take over our lives at times.  I hope that these pictures will always help to conjure up the fun and memories of that morning in Gatlinburg.










1 comments:

Deb said...

I missed all of this! Lol Thanks for capturing it with the pics!